Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Let your kids fail sometimes

Let's face it. Who doesn't want our kids to be successful or have a headstart in life? When the kids are in their pre-teens, we tend to fix their problems and attend to their needs every step of their ways. I've seen parents doing that even when their kids reach adolescence!

Dr James Dobson reminded us that teens desperately want to be thought of and treated as adults ("The New Dare to Discipline", Dr James Dobson, OMF Literature Inc., reprinted 2004, pp. 72-73). Chip Ingram emphasized the importance of letting our teenage and adolescent kids face up to their own consequences in order to foster responsibility, confidence and success ("Let Your Kids Fail", Chip Ingram, Focus on the Family with Dr. James Dobson, April 2007, pp. 18-20). In other words, let our kids fail sometimes. We could try to give advice or opinions but ultimately we need to let them make their own decisions and grow up to be responsible adults. I like what Ingram said about the parent's role: "A parent's job is not to make sure a child has a smooth or comfortable life. Our role is to put safeguards around them when they're young to keep them from ultimate harm; to gradually widen those safeguards as they mature; and to help them to grow into the person God wants them to be."

Dear heavenly Father, I know each child is unique as they are wonderfully made by Your hands. I pray that I would be able to let my kids flourish in their own ways and not hamper their maturing process. May You guide me in the nurturing of my children according to Your ways instead of overly protective of them when they reach adolescence. Teach me to be a good listener and counsellor to my children when they need advice and guidance. Thank you, Lord. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments: