Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Psalm 50

In many Chinese folk beliefs, especially ancestral worship, there is a need for animal sacrifices and burnt offerings. What has God got to say about this?

"I have no need of a bull from your stall
or of goats from your pens,
for every animal of the forest is mine,
and the cattle on a thousand hills.
I know every bird in the mountains,
and the creatures of the field are mine.
If I were hungry I would not tell you,
for the world is mine, and all that is in it.
Do I eat the flesh of bulls or drink the blood of goats?
Sacrifice thank-offerings to God,
fulfil your vows to the Most High,
and call upon me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you will honour me." -- Psalm 50: 9-15

The above passages are also meant for Christians. We need to examine our hearts and honour God with our act of worship, and not treating church as an conduit to God's blessings. The Lord delights more in our obedience rather than sacrifice!

No comments: