Saturday, February 23, 2008

Psalm 52

"But I am like an olive tree
flourishing in the house of God;
I trust in God's unfailing love
for ever and ever." -- Psalm 52:8

David prefaced Psalm 52 with an episode of betrayal and persecution --- Doeg, the Edomite, had exposed the whereabouts of Ahimelech and David to Saul. In that context, David effusively pleaded God to vindicate him of all the sufferings and hurt he had gone through. I could almost feel the fear and helplessness of David and his followers in situations like that.

David's faith in God was unwavering. He knew that God was on his side and that he would outlast all his enemies because God's judgement upon the unrighteous would be done. Such faith in a life and death circumstance!

Let me share with you a poem "Faith and Sight" by Mary Gardiner Brainard ("Footprints and Other Inspirational Poems and Prayers", 1998, Antioch Publishing) which inpired me:

"Faith and Sight"
(Mary Gardiner Brainard)

So I go on, not knowing,
--- I would not, if I might ---
I would rather walk in the dark with God
Than go alone in the light;
I would rather walk with Him by faith
Than walk alone by sight.

No comments: