Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Psalm 22

It is amazing that God has revealed His glory through David's darkest moment by inspiring him to write to great details, the account of Christ's suffering before His crucification on the cross. Jesus had been relegated to a "worm and not a man", being scorned by men and despised by the people. He was being hurled insults (Psalm 22:6-7) and his garments were divided among men after they casted lots for his clothes (Psalm 22:18).

Jesus' inner feelings at the cross were also vividly exposed in verses 14-15: "I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint, my heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth". Even Jesus himself had to call upon His heavenly Father: "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Psalm 22:1) ("Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?") before He died. The anguish of rejection and the burden of our sins upon Himself were spoken as a reminder to us that Jesus honours us as His creations, so much so that He is willing to die for us.

O Lord, thank you for dying on the cross for me. We can only fathom the amazing love You have for us.

No comments: