Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Psalm 23

The serenity and peaceful enclave of Botanic Gardens within the hassle and bussle of our city.

This biblical chapter is perhaps the most famous among believers and unbelievers. I know of an ex-colleague who could recite this whole psalm effortlessly even though he has not accepted God's salvation into his life. It is used in many occasions such as memorial services, funerals and times when we are praying for God's healing upon some one facing imminent death. I remember this psalm being quoted by George W. Bush in his national address in response to the September 11 terrorist acts. It was also scripted and spoken of by a group of petrified victims in the movie "Titanic". In all these occurrences, I was moved to tears.

The psalm is emotionally moving to me because it reminds me of God's provision, protection and preservation. Which explains why Don Moen's song "Psalm 23" is among one of my favourite worship songs, especially when my soul is downcast.

Jesus, You are my shepherd and my only provider. I shall not be in want. Thank you for saving me and my family from the enemy's arrows, covering us under Your wings and protecting us with Your staff and rod. Those who yearns for Your Word shall not be spiritually dry and those who calls upon Your name for peace and comfort shall not be turned away by You.

No comments: