Friday, January 4, 2008

Psalm 4

Psalm 4 is often referred to as an "evening psalm" (Marilyn Hickey, "Psalms: Classic Library Edition", 1997, p 17). Perhaps it's because of verse 8: "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety". How comforting to know that we will have inner peace even when we are faced with insurmountable obstacles in our lives, by resting upon the arms of the Lord and trusting Him to deliver us from those obstacles. For the Lord hears the prayers of His faithful servants, even though we may feel otherwise.

Verse 4 offers a good reminder for us to contain our anger and resolve it before the end of the day: "In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent" (also another evidence of it being an "evening psalm"?). Thank you, Lord, for reminding me in Psalm 4:4 for at certain times, I might have let my emotions run throughout the nights. Forgive me and may You cleanse my mind of such negative thoughts every night before bedtime, replacing them with Your inner peace and protection. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments: