Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Psalm 42

The psalmist's thirst for intimacy with God, from the depth of his soul, is manifested throughout the passage. I especially like verse 1: "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God". It showed us that the longing for God's presence is a natural instinct, just as it is natural for the deer in searching for water for its survival. Men are wired to have a close fellowship with his Creator!

God listens to all our prayers and requests. He is our confidant. We can even tell him about our sadness and seek His comfort and directions. My pastor once told me that habitual feeling of dejection, downcast or dwelling in self-pitiness is in itself a sin. Modern sciences confirm that frequent or habitual emotional upheavals could affect our health and well-being, so much so that it may develop into mental illness or even cancer. Causing grief to our body is a sin because our body is a representation of the temple of God and that we are not to defile it. So God is saying, put all your sorrows and hurts at the foot of the cross. Only Christ can redeem them and shoulder our burdens.

Thank you, Lord, for Your assurance of love in this psalm. Despite circumstances beyond my control, I will seek You first and not rely on my own strength and emotions to handle those situations. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

1 comment:

Sebastian Yiang said...

In clarification, God has given us freedom to express our emotions. Feeling of lousiness and dejection is in itself not a sin per se, but long-term and habitual wallowing in sorrow is.