Saturday, February 2, 2008

"Potluck Morality" versus Biblical Ethics

The reading of the first 30 chapters from the book of Psalm revealed many touching moments of King David, his trust and unwavering faith in God, and also nuggets of biblical ethics. The latter is what governs the core of God's call for holiness. It is on such basis that men can be reconciled with God in eternity.

In their parenting book "Growing Kids God's Way: Reaching the Heart of Your Child With a God-Centered Purpose", Gary and Anne Marie Ezzo touched on the importance of seeking the path of biblical morality because it serves to establish a standard of God's acceptable behaviour and reveal sin. In today's society, Gary and Anne lament the tendency of parents (even Christians) teaching our children based on a potluck of morality --- inconsistent teachings from sources such as old folks, bible teachers, book writers and other subtle influence (the "television"?).

My takeaway from reading the first chapter of the parenting literature is that I need to constantly remind myself of putting God's standard of morality in my own behaviour as a role model for my children. It's not easy, but I know I can rely on the Holy Spirit to teach me to be a better parent.

No comments: